Today, the Centers for Disease Control and Production warn that 16 individuals in 5 states have been injured after eating raw beef. These consumers were injured after consuming a dish called Kibbeh, a traditional Arab dish made of ground raw meat (usually beef, lamb or goat), bulghur, and minced onions. The dish that injured these individuals was served at a restaurant which used meat from Jouni Meats Inc. and Gab Halal Food of Troy, Michigan. In response, these companies recalled over 1,000 pounds of ground beef last week.
The Danger Raw Beef Poses to Consumers
These 16 consumers were injured after consuming raw beef which was infected with the salmonella Typhimurium, a rare strain of salmonella. These consumers have been injured to various degrees, with an estimated half of them requiring hospitalization. Salmonella can infect people who ingest products tainted with the bacteria and can injure people in the following ways:
- gastroenteritis or food poisoning
- bloody diarrhea
- salmonella meningitis
- severe dehydration
Consumers who ingest food infected with this dangerous bacteria are at severe risk for injury and dependent upon their existing health condition and other complications, could even be at risk for death.
If you have been injured by consuming infected food such as this raw beef, you should call your physician immediately. After you obtain the necessary medical treatment, you should also consider calling a product liability and personal injury attorney. Depending upon the unique circumstances of your case, you could be entitled to compensation.